Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Time to Set Sail

Barbados - Day 4
06.08.10

Every year that my family and I have ventured to the island of Barbados we make sure we make time to set sail (aye aye captain). This day is something I am always eager to taste because there is nothing that beats the gemstone colors of the Caribbean ocean on a catamaran using nothing but wind power. Now just tell me God didn't know what he was doing. He's created amazing minds that have learned to travel with the stream of the wind.

From the moment I woke up that morning, which I believe to be around 6am, I was longing to set sail, but our shuttle would not depart for our launch city, Bridgetown, until 8:15am. So, that morning I made sure I had a scrumdidiliumptious breakfast and had all my gear ready so that I might bolt out the door. I packed a long sleeve shirt, since I was pretty severely sunburnt the day prior, my much loved and four year old wide-brimmed sun hat, extra sunscreen, my aviators and a towel. I was set to embark.

This shuttle to Bridgetown was buzzing with excitement of people who have never been on a catamaran before. A Welshman, Steve, and his Canadian wife, Georgia, were among the buzz and a super sweet couple I will add. Talking with Steve and Georgia was nothing but a piece of cake; they were engaging, interesting and fun to talk with... Not your typical tourists without a brain traveling to pretty places and getting conned into each tourist traps. Nope, they were quite fun.

Finally, Bridgeport, our launch sight! We've reached it and were ready to set sail into the beautiful Caribbean. The day was seamless... perfect and lovely in everyway. Just a few white puffy clouds filled the skies against a turquoise blue sky that almost blended with the sea. The wind was breezing strongly to carry the boat across the waters and our captain steered his ship along the Western coast of Barbados. During our cruise, we made three stops, two in which we got to feed turtles and see some beautiful works-of-art fish. The fish were red, pink, dark and light blue with sparkles. They were striped and polka dotted, fat and thin. Some had big eyes and others small. There were loner fish and schools of fish. The turtles swam near us as the crew fed them with their favorite treats. We got to touch them and feel their shells and once in a while one would come up and nudge your foot, but mostly because we were in their way. Have to learn our place around the turtles I guess. Our third stop of the day we had a delectable lunch consisting of fresh, fried flying-fish, salad, chicken, potatoes and rolls. And... rum punch for everyone. One of my favorite lunches of the year.

After lunch we take the cruise back which is always a delight; the captain picks up speed in the wind and water usually splashes against everyone's face as they bounce up and down from the small waves in the water. As the catamaran reaches its port, everyone is always slightly sad that the day trip has come to and end, but never sorry for taking the trip.

For dinner that evening my family and I went to a local restaurant called the Waterfront Cafe where they serve traditional Bajan cooking. There's just something about home cooking wherever you go that brings comfort to your soul. This day was so pleasant and I am so thankful yet again.

*Cheers*

No comments:

Post a Comment