Friday, July 9, 2010

Rain Rain Go Away

Barbados: Day 5
06.09.10

What beautiful weather we were having until this 5th day of our trip.

RAIN!

On the island of Barbados when it rains, it pours. You may have your occasional scattered showers tossed about by the sea's wind over the island, but when the rain comes there is no mistaking it's presence.

The rain started in the early, early morning before the sun said hello to the day. It fell at a steady pace and helped me sleep in the early morning deeply. When I woke, I wasn't sure what time it was because a blanket of dark clouds covered the island; but turning my sleepy head ever so slightly towards the clock told me it was already 7am. It was this morning that my dad and brother had plans to take a deep forest hike in the highlands of Barbados, but there was no chancing the possibility of being stranded and flooded out of the forest. Instead, they chose to journey through Bridgetown and see what it had to offer. Plenty of stores in this city would keep them sheltered and dry.

My mom and I had other plans... to do NOTHING. We wanted to relax and just take it easy. She especially needed this day to do nothing and that is what she did. We each watched some TV, spent time surfing the internet, reading magazines and books and enjoying lunch at home. Then we got the bright idea to pamper ourselves a little. My mom treated both herself and me to a pedicure at the resort spa. Now, I am not one to have had many pedicures in my life, but I can tell you that this was my favorite so far; they buffed, they scrubbed, smoothed, worked out the knots and polished our feet. I chose a bright coral color, thinking it was Bajan appropriate, and my mom chose a lively pink. There is just something about a pedicure that makes a woman feel good.

Our toes were shiny and dry as we left the spa; it was time to change and get ready for dinner. The guys just arrived back at the room and we were all getting ready to leave for a decadent dinner restaurant right on the west coast with seating directly above the water. This food is incredible and full of natural, simple and satiating flavor. Freshest food I've ever had. For my first course I had a spicy lobster dish, and for my second course a mint, coconut shrimp. Dessert consisted of berries, chocolate and vanilla ice cream... a perfect combination. The four of us enjoyed our entrees over a bottle of Delas wine... oh that wine was GREAT. A dryer white wine that paired well with our meals.

Though rainy, it was another good day with great food. New stories and new memories.

*Cheers*

No comments:

Post a Comment